Chef Deanna made these for our Champagne Brunch class. The perfect spring / summer garden party appetizer, or skip the bread and eat it for lunch!
Egg Salad Tartines
Perfect appetizer for a spring / summer garden party, or just add another slice of bread for a heavenly egg salad sandwich! Recipe by Deanna Fitchat.
Servings: 10 people
- 1 each egg yolk
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup MTOO Basil Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 4 tsp MTOO Apple Balsamic
- 1/2 tsp MTOO Sriracha Hot Chile Spice blend
- salt and pepper to taste
Egg Salad & Assembly
- 8 large eggs
- 1 tsp MTOO Lemon Herbs Seasoning
- 4-8 slices country style bread toasted
- 1/4 cup basil leaves torn
- 1/4 cup dill fronds torn
- 2 tbls chives in 1/2" pieces
- 1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp MTOO Sicilian Lemon Balsamic Vinegar
- mtoo white truffle oil for drizzling
For the Mayonnaise
- Combine egg yolk, mustard and pinch of salt in a medium bowl. Anchor bowl by setting it inside a towel lined saucepan, which will afford you 2 free hands... 1 for pouring and 1 for whisking. Whisk until very smooth.
- Combine olive and vegetable oils in a measuring cup and pour into yolk mixture, drop by drop at first, then in a slow steady stream as mixture stiffens, until all the oil has been added. Whisk in the vinegar and hot spice blend; season with salt and pepper. Thin mayo with water if needed, adding a teaspoonful at a time until just loose enough to fall off a spoon.
For Egg Salad and Assembly
- To boil the eggs, put them in a pot of cold water to cover. Bring to a boil. Turn off heat and cover. Let sit on stove covered for 17 minutes. Immediately transfer eggs with a slotted spoon to a bowl of ice water and stir until cool enough to handle, about 1 minute. Drain, pat dry and peel eggs. Chop eggs into large pieces and add just enough mayonnaise to lightly coat. Taste for seasoning. Spoon over bread.
- Toss scallions, basil, dill, chives and lemon zest in a small bowl. Add lemon balsamic, drizzle with oil and season with salt. Toss to coat. Pile herbs on top of egg. Drizzle with White Truffle Oil. Eat and enjoy.